1. As I said in this blogpost, Francesa should be placed on FSN affiliates/overflow channels and on Fox Sports app/FoxSports.com in addition to FS1 and FS2. It would guarantee places for Francesa to air even when FS1 has to interrupt programming. In New York, Francesa could air on YES overflow channel or worst case scenario, Fox could sublicense to MSG.
2. Jay Mohr is being replaced by Rich Eisen in his current afternoon timeslot but could be moved to nights on Fox Sports Radio which makes it unlikely that he'll replace Francesa on FS1. If for some reason Mohr is cancelled on FSR though, FS1 would be smart to continue his show on their network as a Francesa replacement. Mohr has built up a loyal listenership over the past year that would be unhappy if Mohr left their daily lives.
3. Best situation for FS1 if they cancel Francesa and Mohr is moved to nights on FSR is to simulcast the Rich Eisen show. They could pay Audience Net and NFL Now a licensing fee. The biggest benefit for the show if it added FS1 is that they would expand their reach. FS1 also benefits because they don't have to pay extra production costs to simulcast the show since it is owned by DirecTV. If FS1 needed to preempt the show for afternoon soccer, viewers still have the option to watch on Audience/NFL Now.
4. What will most likely fill FS1's schedule if Francesa is cancelled? Replays of NASCAR, Monster Truck and other races. FS1 faces the same problem NBCSN does with outdoor programming. Old viewers from old incarnation haven't left and are more reliable than general sports viewers who cling to ESPN and ESPN2.
5. If I was a sports app like theScore or Yahoo Sports or 120 Sports, I would try to acquire Francesa's show to broadcast on the app. He's one of the few personalities who brings in a fan base. The fan base would download the app to watch Francesa and would very likely explore the app beyond Francesa's show to get their sports scores.
The app could then sublicense the stream to a TV sports network or RSN. I'm sure acquiring video simulcast rights to Francesa would be cheaper for a sports app looking to build their downloads and user base than hiring a big personality to produce high-budget videos like what Yahoo is trying with Katie Couric.
- Ideas Involving Mike Francesa, Rich Eisen and Jay ...
- ABC News Launching A Newscast With David Muir On F...
- USA Today Launches SEC Hub, "Spanning The SEC"
- Mike Francesa Leaving Fox Sports 1?
- Rich Eisen Replacing Jay Mohr on Fox Sports Radio?...
- Sinclair Airs Town Hall On NewsChannel8
- Fox Sports and YouTube Team Up
- NFL Now Is A Must Watch For Football Fans
- Rich Eisen Re-Signs With NFL Network, Gets His Own...
- Inside The NFL Re-Airs On NFL Network, CBS = Serio...
- NFL Films Presents Moves To Fox Sports 1
- CBS News 24 Hour Streaming Network Launches In Oct...
- Mark Cuban Launches His Own Show......An Infomeric...
- Raycom Sports Gets Alabama High School Football Ri...
- Bill Simmons Out At NBA Countdown
- Why Is ABC Doing A Primetime Robin Williams Specia...
- Willie Geist = Matt Lauer's Successor
- Cox Media Group Launches A New National Sports Sit...
- ▼ Aug (18)
- ► 2011 (419)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (89)
- ► 2008 (36)