Monday, April 20, 2009

Why the hell am I watching Miss USA

For the first time in a long time I agree with an opinion piece from Fox News. Lemme give you some backup info. It's funny cuz I was eating Chinese food and doing my homework and watching Miss USA live on NBC, so Miss Cali walks up to the stage and picks a card and it's Perez Hilton who has to ask her a question, of course he asks her about gay marriage and she says marriage should be between a man and a woman. Now I'm not arguing to what she believes because I have true love and respect for gays and agree with most of the things that she believes; but for the judges to not vote for her just because of her beliefs is prejudice. This was like reverse prejudice, where if you're against the gays, you can't go that way. That is totally unfair! I mean Deadspin is calling it the stupidest move since Miss South Carolina (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww) and I guess they make a point in saying your suppose to say what everyone else wants you to say not what you believe in when it comes to beauty pagents but everyone is entitled to their own opinion! Check out Mark Joseph's perspective:

MARK JOSEPH: Miss California USA Agrees With Obama and Elton John on Gay Marriage

By Mark Joseph
Writer/Producer/Author

Miss California USA, Carrie Prejean, doesn’t agree with the notion of gay marriage. Now, according to some, that makes her a bad person. Asked by judge Perez Hilton about the issue at the Miss USA pageant, Prejean replied:

“We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised.”

The response, from some quarters was swift — and angry:

“As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman,” said Keith Lewis who runs the Miss California competition. “I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family.”

“It’s ugly,” added Scott Ihrig, who attended the event with his partner. ”I think it’s ridiculous that she got first runner-up. That is not the values of 95 percent of the people in this audience. Look around this audience and tell me how many gay men there are.”

If Prejean’s views are “ugly,” than she’s not alone on the public stage: During the last presidential campaign President Obama answered the same question by declaring:

“I’m a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.”

Elton John has also weighed in, saying:

“If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership… The word ‘marriage,’ I think, puts a lot of people off. You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships.”

Whether we agree with Prejean, President Obama and Elton John or not, there is one thing we should all agree upon: All Americans deserve the right to debate issues and disagree with each other without threats, intimidation or ad hominem attacks. — Those who want to convince their fellow citizens about the rightness of their cause can best accomplish that by convincing, not shaming them, into agreeing with them.

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/04/20/miss_california_usa/







PEREZ SHUT UP!!!!! HOW BIASED IS THIS!! I WATCHED AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN GET BOOED IDIOT!

No comments:

Search Here!!

Blog Archive