Sunday, October 12, 2014

Bold Prediction: Keith Olbermann Back In Politics By 2016 Election

Keith Olbermann recently contributed "play-by-play" to Bill Maher's stand-up special on HBO. Olbermann didn't make any political references since he's banned from talking politics by his current employer, ESPN, but there's no doubt in my mind that he misses the game best played in Washington, D.C.

When asked about it by SI's Richard Deitsch, here's what he said:
The direct answer is – and I know I never give one – yes and no. I do miss that marinating process and no, I don’t need to do it again.
I'm sure he doesn't need politics in his life but I'm sure he would love it if it played some type of role in his life once in a while.

My prediction? Olbermann will find a way to get back into politics. I don't think it'll mean leaving ESPN or ending his show either.

ESPN and Olbermann will find a way for him to either contribute to 2016 election coverage on ABC News or another news outlet.

Maybe Olbermann contributes video content to CNN or Al Jazeera America (since his bridges with MSNBC/Fox are beyond broken) or an online website like Slate or Yahoo. Maybe he produces weekly special comments for FiveThirtyEight, Grantland or Fusion. Maybe he becomes a contributor to ABC's "This Week." Maybe he becomes a guest blogger for the Huffington Post or a left-wing publication.

Maybe ESPN and ABC News form a partnership/online hub with contributions from Olbermann, Nate Silver, some of ESPN's online writers like Jason Whitlock and members of his website together with ESPN/ABC News' political sports podcast.

I don't know how it happens but there's no way Keith Olbermann's voice remains silent during the hoopla surrounding the 2016 election. As ESPN and Olbermann develop more trust for one another, the freedoms he's allowed to have will expand.

Olbermann just has to continue behaving for the next year.

1 comment:

Lets Do it Right said...

Now that KO is no longer with ESPN, I hope your prediction turns out to be true. It would be great to have him go to AJAM or 538.

Search Here!!